I stumbled across this ‘different’ recipe for slaw salad in a grocery store flyer. There’s no mayonnaise, traditional white vinegar, paprika, celery seed or some combination of these ingredients. The garlic gives the salad some bite, and a smoky flavor. The cilantro brightens the whole salad for a fresh feeling.
After several tries, I discovered the slaw needed more garlic (but I love garlic). And while we’re boosting the flavor, why not add a little fresh green onion. Upping the quantity of cilantro also works. To make the dish even easier for busy cooks, let’s use some prepackaged slaw to save time. Fresh Express’ 3-Color Delie Cole Slaw is more than adequate to the task.
This alternative slaw is delicious and good as a side or fun to try on your homemade deli-style sandwich concoction.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2-3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Package Fresh Express 3 Color Deli Cole Slaw (see Options to make your own)
- In a skillet heat olive oil until shimmering. Add garlic and onion, reduce heat, and cook until garlic becomes light brown: about three minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine white wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper: whisk together.
- Add oil, garlic, and onion mixture and whisk again.
- In a large bowl, put in 1/2 bag of slaw mix; add 1/2 of the marinade and toss together. Repeat for the additional slaw.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, better if overnight.
- Prior to serving, add cilantro and toss well.
- Add additional salt and/or pepper to taste.
To make your own slaw mix, prepare the following: 1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups); 1/2 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced (about 3 cups);Â 1/2 – 1 Cup carrot, shredded